1. the state or quality of being good.
2. moral excellence; virtue.
3. kindly feeling; kindness; generosity.
4. excellence of quality: goodness of workmanship.
5. the best part of anything; essence; strength.
6. a euphemism for god: Thank goodness!
7.(used in expressions of surprise, alarm, etc.): Goodness,you gave me a start! Goodness gracious!
2. integrity, honesty, uprightness, probity. Goodness, morality,virtue refer to qualities of character or conduct that entitle the possessor to approval and esteem. Goodness is the simple word for the general quality recognized in character or conduct: Many could tell of her goodness and kindness. Morality implies conformity to the recognized standards of right conduct: a citizen of the highest morality. Virtue is a rather formal word, and suggests usually goodness that is consciously or steadily maintained, often in spite of temptations or evil influences: of unassailable virtue; firm and of unwavering virtue. 3. benevolence, benignity, humanity. 4. worth, value.
1. badness, evil.
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
I love this word. A few years back a life long friend of mine was battling breast cancer and she used this particular word... A LOT! It was fascinating to me that even though she was the one going through such a difficult time, that she could make me feel better! I was trying to find a way to send her encouragement and I always ended up feeling comforted.
These days?... she's doing wonderful...
and I try to find the goodness in my minor obstacles!